Monday, June 13, 2011

Bobbie


I've been thinking about my grandma a lot.  I grew up in a real estate office hearing everyone call my grandma by her first name so I did too.  She was a ruthless business women.  She would do anything to close a deal.  I don't say that with pride or judgement.  That is just the way she was.  7-11 was her favorite place to stop.  We would share a bag of Doritios and a Kit Kat as I rode around town with her.  When I spent the night, she would always massage my feet with lotion telling me my feet won't always be this soft and a lady has to take care of her skin.  But one of my favorite memories is of her playing Kenny Rogers on her record stereo that was actually a large piece of furniture and dancing around the room.  As I was scouting itunes for a song we sang in church on Special Sunday, Kenny came to mind.  I listened to the words and they took on a whole new meaning
You've got to know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em...Memories are like that.  Some memories are so special that you have to hold on to them no matter what. Some memories don't deserve the space and you have to know when to fold 'em and let them go.  Bobbie is losing all her memories - those that are precious to her and those that she probably should have lost a long time ago.  I've let some of my memories go of Bobbie - that is what you do when you're family.  But there are memories that I will hold on to for the both of us.  Whenever I hear Kenny, I'll be back in her house cutting a rug. 

No comments: