Saturday, March 12, 2011

Meeting Ree

After successfuly meeting Mary Pope Osbourne and lack of a birthday gift idea, Tony volunteered to take me to Ree Drummond's book signing.  If you have no idea who Ree is, check out her blog -  She has also been on the Today show and Throwdown with Bobby Flay.  The doors opened at 5:30.  We arrived at 5:15.  This was the line.  Yes, that is the edge of the parking lot at the rear of the building
We had assumed it would be like our first book signing.  Wrong!  I jumped out of the car to get in line just grabbing Ree's cookbook.  Tony parked the car & brought the kids.  Just as we got to the entrance, we found out that Ree was giving a short talk.  Both Macy & Parker had fallen asleep on the way there. (We had a busy morning.  Parker and Tony helped pick up litter for Cub Scouts & we all toured the fire house and station afterwards.)  As Macy was waking up, she started crying "I hungry!".  I turned to Tony to ask for my purse.  He said he had put it in the trunk.  I reminded him that Macy's diapers, wipes, etc. were in it.  Tony left to go get it, but returned without it.  Because the library was reaching capacity, if Tony left, they would not let him back in.  We distracted Macy with a pencil and paper when Ree took the stage.
I thought that we were going to make it through the presentation until the very prepared mom in front of us pulled out Bread Co. for her two year old son.  Macy lost it & wouldn't quit crying.  I got up and exited as fast as I could to the farthest corner of the library.  Tony came to take Macy but she would have nothing to do with his plan.  So I stayed and missed Ree's words of humor and wisdom. Just as I was on my third verse of "The Wheels on the Bus", Ree walks right in front of me with her hubby, Marlbaro Man.  All I can do is grin like an idiot holding a tear stained two year old.  We then found out that the yellow cards they gave us at the entrance determined when we would go see Ree.  We had cards with the number 12.  Wendy Martin was there with her mom and they were not going to stay so they gave us their cards.  They were in group 10.  Thanks Wendy and Anna!  When they called group 1, we estimated that each group had about 40 people in it.  Tony found the children's area where we spent about an hour..or two.
Of course, the kids are starving and about ready to hit the whine-o-meter all time high.  By then we had figured out each group was taking about 30 minutes and exiting out the rear door.  Tony then decided to take the kids to McDonalds and let them hang out in the car until we were the next group.  I have to say all the other mothers in the play area were quite envious and looked at their husbands longingly.  Sadly for them, their husbands were quite oblivious.  While he was gone, I had a great visit with Laura Picker and her Mid-County friend.  Who knew we were all Ree fans? Not me!  Finally, it was group 9's turn.  I called Tony who ushered the kids in the back door so as not to upset the front door gaurdians.  I won't say who was the rule breaker and let them all in.  Finally, group 10 was called and we got in line again.  Five minutes later, I smell something very suspicious.  Macy had made a stinky.  No big deal - I had my purse now.  Reaching for the diaper, my hand kept searching for the wipes in my bottomless purse.  Not there.  Tony then recalls he had used them in the car to clean the kids up after dinner.  By now, we are four people away from the Ree room.  No time to make it to the car. No way to get back in. No time to change the diaper.  Ree will not notice, Tony assures me.  I just give him a stinky look.  It's our turn and here are my exact words to Ree (that Tony had helped me practice):  I wanted your camera for my birthday and my husband laughed.  I was hoping to win your Kitchen Aid give away and I lost.  So my husband volunteered to take me to your book signing for my birthday present.  Ree then added Happy Birthday to her autograph and we all posed with me trying to stand as far away as I could so she couldn't smell a certain stinky girl.
She was as kind and funny in person as she is on her blog.  We then met Marlbaro Man and hoped he didn't smell the stinky.

Finally, Macy got rid of her stinky, we climbed in the car, and started back home at 9:45.  Yes friends, 4 and a half hours later.  But it was so worth it and a birthday present that I will never forget. :)

No comments: