Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Happy Birthday, Mom!

Celebrating a previous birthday at my mom's FAVORITE lunch spot in KC, Andre's

I've just been doing some online browsing for my Mom's birthday gift.  Her birthday is Friday, and we are excited for her to come and spend some time with us for a long weekend.  As I was pursuing her wish list, it dawned on me that these little gifts in no way communicate how much she means to me.  If we were wealthy, I could probably come close...maybe a cruise or something from Tiffany's?  Besides my dad, my mom knows my whole story.  She knows my tears shed when I lost the Student Council Vice President vote in middle school.  She knows that I loved hunting for bargains with her at Jones' Midnight Madness Sales. She knows my first kiss happened on my first Prom.  She knows that I couldn't wait to get my driver's license so she pulled me out of school on my 16th birthday.  She knows the tears I cried when I said good-bye to my best friend when she left for Mizzou and I for Harding.  She knew that there was something about Tony that hadn't been there with any other boyfriends - and let me tell you - they were so relieved it wasn't the neck popper.  She has seen every one of my classrooms.  She walked with me through all my pregnancies and listened to my own parenting failures and breakthroughs.  It's comforting to know that there is someone who knows your whole history - the sweet and the sour.  But even more comforting, is my Mom never lets me edits my disappointments.  They are what they are.  Move on. Some how, some way, she taught me that I am not a total of successes to failures, but I am God's chosen daughter.  May I be so blessed to do the same with Parker and Macy.  I love you!

No comments: