Saturday, July 23, 2011

Trophy Children?

I just finished reading Parenting By the Book, Bibical Wisdom for Raising Your Child by John Rosemond.  Friends, this book hit home on so many levels!  The first one that convicted me was how as parents we define success.  Often, we equate success with a great report card or the number of activities our children participate in.  But we don't view this as our child's success but as ours.  OUCH! Rosemond argues we should view success in the three Rs - respect, responsibility, and resourcefulness. He asks where is the bumper sticker that says "My child has impeccable manners!".  The second thing that hit home with me was how as parents we can be so consumed with our children learning skills such as their ABCs,  but we don't spend the same amount of time hammering manners.  He used the example that we teach children to wait for a pause then say "Excuse Me" when they need to interrupt.  The proper way he believes ifor a child to interrupt an adult conversation is to stand away from the conversation as not to eavesdrop and wait for the adult to address the child.  He points out this is still the norm in Africa, but certainly not the US.  I couldn't believe what I had taught Parker to wait for a pause and say Excuse Me was the exact example he used! I thought this was the polite thing to do!  Now I am not so sure!  I struggled to get past the first chapter, but I am so glad I did!  Rosemond gave me a lot to think about as well as generating lively discussions between Tony & I!

No comments: