Saturday, January 23, 2010

January 24, 1970

On Sunday, my parents will be celebrating their 40th wedding anniversary!  This is especially incredible because you could not find two more different people who have lasted this long together.  My dad loves to preach the Word, my mom would rather sit in the back of the auditorium.  My dad never meets a stranger, my mom would rather visit with one good friend.  My dad enjoys hole in the wall restaurants, my mom prefers 5 star.  My dad likes to sit in front of the TV, my mom would rather go out.  My dad likes to sleep in a completely dark and silent room, my mom prefers a light on as well as the TV.  You can get the picture.  But there has been one thing in their marriage that they are in complete agreement with.  Very much like the Carly Simon song, my brother and I are the loves of their lives.  I am not bragging.  They would be the first to tell you that.  I have been thinking about what their 40 year marriage has meant to me.  Despite knowing that they are the odd couple, I owe them so very much.  Most importantly, I inherited my faith from them.  Growing up, they led by example.  A family goes to church Sunday morning, Sunday night, and Wednesday evening.  A family serves at church.  For the longest time, my dad was the Children's Minister before anyone had heard of it: countless hours driving the Joy bus, kissing a pig when the kids at our church broke the record for VBS attendance, campaigning for the children of the church to be a vital part.  My mom modeled quiet service.  Don't ignore the homeless man on the corner.  Carry a bag of groceries to give him.  Take time for your friends.  True friends will hold you when you feel faint.  My parents have always provided the soft landing when I have fallen.  They continually help me to get back on my feet.  My parents may be complete opposites, but they have found a way to fit together for 40 years.  Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad!  Thank you for all the love that has come my way because you found a way to give me the best of both worlds.  I love you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have a beautiful family! Thanks for sharing.
Beth C. in MN

Mom said...

Thanks for the kind words! You were right. You and JB are the loves of our lifes!