Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Life IS Short

A 43-year-old mother of a 4th grader, who volunteered in my classroom, died yesterday.  No warnings.  The visitation and memorial service are on Friday. She loved her mother dearly.  She is an only, and the center of her mother's world.  Her dad works at one of my favorite stores, and even though she's left my classroom, she would occasionally bop down with a coupon and a post-it note from her mom.  She jumps out of her class's line to give me a hug, and now I will want to hold on tighter and squeeze a little bit longer.  It is never easy to let go...We waste so much of our time here - complaining, being fearful, arguing, worrying, keeping score.  We're perpetually striving to have enough, be enough.  We claim to be in the moment, but aren't we already anticipating the next one?  A loss like this knocks me down to my praying knees.  "I'm sorry.  I forget that today is my gift.  I forget to treat it kindly. I forget that today will make a memory that death cannot erase.  Let me make the memories that bring honor, and not shame to your name. Thank you for today. In Jesus Name, Amen."

No comments: